Winter is almost here and with it come slushy hallways and school cancellations to go with the snowball fights. But rejoice, there are plenty of Winter activities in Rockland to keep your child happy, and your house free of snow.
Parks, Ice Skating and Hockey In Rockland County
- Bear Mountain State Park– Bear Mountain, located where Rt 9W and the Palisades Parkway meet, is one of the major attractions in Rockland County. Despite being connected to Harriman State Park, Bear Mountain is considered a separate entity. Located there is an outdoor rink, as well as cross-country ski trails and sledding for those inclined. So be sure to bring your kids ice skates from www.skates.com/collections/kids-ice-skates so they’re ready for some fun action.
- Eugene Levy Memorial Park–located on Rt. 45 in Pomona, near Matterhorn Nursery. Has an ourdoor skating rink, nature walk, and a good playground for young children.
- Sport-O-Rama–Sport-O-Rama is on College Rd in Monsey, almost where the road intersects with Rt. 59. In addition to ice skating, they offer youth hockey leagues and clinics, and also figure skating lessons.
- Palisades Center Ice Rink–On the fourth floor of the Palisades Center Mall. They have public skating every day except Thursday. Clinics and leagues are also available. Being in the Mall gives advantages in its accessibility, but expect large crowds at peak times.
- Sparkill Skating Rink– A natural skating pond in the middle of Sparkill, off Rt. 304. As it is a natural skating rink, it may be closed depending on the weather.
Indoor Fun and the Palisades Mall
- The Challenger Center–On Rt. 59 in Airmont (Next to the Applebees). This is an educational center that functions as a “Space Camp” of sorts. Participants take different roles in a space shuttle and mission control, using teamwork to complete the tasks given to them. Public missions every third Sunday. Reservations highly recommended.
The Palisades Center has become the amusement center of Rockland when it comes to rainy (or snowy) day entertainment. The presence of so many activities so close to each other makes the Center seem almost like a carnival midway. At the Palisades Mall you can find the following and more:
- Dave and Buster’s– This restaurant/arcade has entertainment for children and adults. D&B’s has the latest in video and virtual reality games.
- Ferris Wheel and Carousel– 3rd Floor. In the center of the Food Court is a sixty eight foot high Ferris Wheel, and a carousel dating back to the early 20th Century.
- IMAX Theater–4th Floor. An immersive movie viewing experience.
- Krazy City– 3rd Floor. Small indoor theme park. Miniature golf, arcade games, roller coaster, and bumper cars.
- NASCAR Silicon– 4th Floor. Virtual Reality racing games.
Rockland County sits where the city and the country meets, giving its citizens access to all kinds of activities. Above is just a taste of what activities Rockland has to offer in Winter for children. Have Fun! And after some fun and action packed activities, you could relax in the cabin and play your favorite sports betting games via www.phxbiker.com.